I love Spinach and always look out for new recipes with it.This time its Spinach/Palak Dal, its healthy , tasty and easy to make, with iron and fiber(Spinach) and (Daal) protein all in one. There are many versions of Spinach Daal , this one I made with Toor Dal/ Arhar Dal/Pigeon pea
- 1 cup tuvar dal/pigeon pea lentils
- 2 cups chopped spinach/palak
- 2, 3 cloves of Garlic chopped
- 1 green chili/hari mirch, chopped
- 1 inch ginger/adrak, chopped
- 1 tsp cumin seeds/sabut jeera
- ¼ tsp asafoetida/hing
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder/ Dhania powder
- ½ tsp turmeric powder/haldi
- ½ tsp red chili powder/lal mirch powder
- Water for cooking
- 2 or 3 tbsp ghee /oil
- salt as required
1. Wash the Toor Daal and cook it in a pressure cooker with turmeric powder. add 2 cups of water , pressure cook for 1 to 2 whistles or till the dals become soft , Keep it aside.
2. in a pan, heat ghee/oil . fry the cumin and then add the chopped ginger and garlic and fry for a minute.
3. Add the chopped chili and fry for half a minute, now add the chopped spinach. add red chili powder , asafetida and Dhania powder.
4. saute for 5 minutes till the spinach becomes soft and stops releasing water on a medium flame.
5. Now add mashed Toor Dal and mix it with spinach.
6. add water around ½ cup to 1 cup depending on how thick or thin you want the daal to be.
7. finally add salt and Garam Masala simmer the palak dal for 6-7 minutes.
8. serve palak dal hot with rice or Chapati.