There are ample of variety to try with chana . Best thing about chana masala is it goes well with roti/paratha or steamed rice. it's one of the best comfort food. If you go to Delhi or Punjab the staple food everywhere you can see is rajma chalwa, chole chawal, chole batura .This lentil is very delicious and rich in protein. With its low glycemic index, Kala chana is perfect for a healthy diet. Lot of people make sprouts from kala chana and eat it in salads.
I have to reduce its cooking time. If you don’t have pressure cooker then you can cook this kala chana masala sabzi in normal pan too, however it will take quite a lot of time to get cooked.
- 1 cup of dried black chickpeas/kala chana (soaked overnight or for 8-9 hours)
- 3 cups water for soaking black chickpeas
- 1 medium size onion, finely chopped
- 1 large tomato, finely chopped
- 4 to 5 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1 to 2 green chilli finely chopped
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp red chilli powder
- ½ tsp punjabi garam masala
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- pinch of asafoetida/hing
- 2 tbsp ghee or oil
- salt as required
- Soak the black chickpeas or kala chana overnight or for 8-9 hours.
- In a pressure cooker, add 2 tbsp of ghee or oil.Add cumin, crackle them and then add finely chopped onions , saute the onions till they become light golden.
- Add garlic, green chilli and saute for 15-20 seconds .
- Add finely chopped tomatoes and saute them till the oil starts leaving from the sides of the onion-tomato masala.
- Add the turmeric powder, asafoetida, kashmiri red chili powder and saute for 2-3 seconds, then add the kala chana along with all of the water. season with salt and stir well.
- Pressure cook on a medium to high flame for 8-9 whistles or more till the chickpeas are cooked well and softened.
- Lastly sprinkle the garam masala and stir. garnish the kala chana curry with coriander leaves.
- Serve the kala chana curry with steamed rice, rotis or chappati.