Vermicelli Upma is an easy and tasty Indian breakfast, one can add variety of veggies to this and make it tasty .Below is the recipe of upma I prepared :)
In a pand add oil, once warm add mustard seeds, few seeds of fenugreek, green chili, few peanuts , 1 tsp of urad dal and curry leaves.Cook it for about a minute.
Now add Onions to this along with little salt keep on stirring it in between till it turns golden brown in color.
Add tomatoes and grated carrot to this along with turmeric powder , mix well .Let it cook for about 3-4 mins.
Then add roasted Vermicelli to this.( you can even get the non roasted version of vermicelli and dry roast it in a pan and use it.)
Now add water to this ( the ratio of vermicelli to water is 1:2 )
Let the water evaporate, serve it with a dash of lime and garnish it with freshly chopped cilantro.
- 1 cup Vermicelli
- 1/4 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 Onion
- 1 Green chili
- 1 Carrot grated
- 1 Tomato
- 2 cups Water
- 1 tsp Oil
- 4 Curry Leaves
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp of turmeric powder
- few peanuts
- 1 tsp of urad dal ( optional)
- 1 tsp of fenugreeek seeds
- 1 tsp of lime juice
- chopped cilantro for garnishing
- Chop the onions, chillies and tomatoes into small pieces and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan once warm and add mustard seeds , curry leaves, fenugreek seeds, urad dal, peanuts and green chili.When they start to crackle add onions along with salt , fry till they turn golden brown.
- Add grated carrot and tomatoes along with turmeric powder and cook it for about 4-5 minutes.
- Add vermicelli to this mixture and mix it well.
- Now add 2 cups of water to this ( the ratio of vermicelli to water is 1:2 ) .mix it and let it cook till water evaporates.
- Cover the upma with a lid for 5-6 minutes
- Serve hot with a dash of lime and chopped cilantro.
Linking this recipe to http://verygoodrecipes.com/breakfasts-of-the-world-challenge