Dalia has become one of my favorites and I make Dalia upma many times for breakfast , I wanted to try something new with it and happen to know about this recipe from my mom .I was doubtful as how it would taste but still gave it a try and I'm glad I did because it tastes almost as if you are having Pulao ( Rice Recipe), you have to taste it once to like it :)
In a pressure cooker heat oil /ghee , once warm add cumin seeds , cloves , whole pepper,cinnamon and cook it for about 2 minutes.
Once done add veggies. Mix it well, cook for about 4 - 5 minutes.
Now add Mung Dal , rice along with turmeric powder, chili powder and salt.Cook it for about 2-3 minutes.
Add 4 cups of water to this mixture, pressure cooker it for about 2-3 whistles.
Once done , let it cool down .Serve it hot with curd and pickle of your choice.
Recipe Details :-
- 1/2 cup Dalia (Broken wheat)
- 1 cup Mung dal ( Split Yellow Gram)
- 2-3 cloves
- 1 green chili finely chopped
- 1 tbsp of oil/ ghee
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- salt as per taste
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2-3 whole pepper
- 1/2 tsp asafotedia ( Heeng)
- 1 potato peeled and diced into pieces
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1/2 cup peas
- 1 cup cauliflower florets
- 4 cups water
- Wash Mung Dal and Dalia with water , soak it for about 15 minutes , drain of the water and keep it aside.
- take a pressure cooker , to this add oil/ ghee.Once warm add cumin seeds , cinnamon ,cloves and whole pepper . cook it for about 2 minutes.
- Add all the veggies to this , mix it well and cook for about 5-6 minutes.
- Add Mung Dal and rice to this mixture along with salt , turmeric and chili powder, mix it well and cook for about 2-3 minutes.
- Now add 4 cups of water to this , close the lid of pressure cooker , cook for about 2-3 whistles.
- Once done switch of the burner and let it cool down so that all the steam in pressure cooker escapes out.
- Serve it with curd and your choice of pickle.