Baingan Bharta is an easy and common recipe amongst North Indian food.I made few changes to it ( like adding peanuts :) ) and it came out pretty good.Instead of roasting the eggplant , I've boiled it and added to the gravy it tastes different than the roasted eggplant bharta but still good.
In a pan add 1 tbsp of oil , once warm add cumin seeds, ginger , garlic and peanuts , saute it for 2 minutes.
Add Onion , Green chili and salt to this and let it cook it Onions become translucent.
Now add tomatoes to this mixture along with turmeric , red chili ,coriander powder and garam masala , let it cook for about 5 mins.
Add Boiled Eggplant to this and mix it well, then add Coriander to the mixture.
Mix it well and let it cook for about 7-8 mins on a slow flame. Baingan Bharta is ready.
- 1 medium Baigan (eggplant)
- 7-8 raw peanuts
- 1 tbsp of ginger grated or paste
- 3-4 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 Finely chopped onions
- 1 Finely chopped tomatoes
- 1 Finely chopped green chilli
- 1 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp of coriander powder
- 1 tsp of chili powder
- 1 tbsp Vegetable oil
- Salt to taste
- Chopped green coriander leaves for garnishing
- Cut Baingan into pieces , boil it till soft or up to one whistle in pressure cooker.
- Once done,Cool it, peel off the blackened skin and mash the flesh.
- Heat oil in a pan / kadhai once warm add cumin seeds, ginger, garlic and peanuts to this , let it cook for about 2 mins.
- Add Onion , green chili and salt to this and let it cook till Onions become translucent .
- Add tomato to this along with turmeric , red chili, coriander powder and garam masala and let it cook till tomato become soggy ( 6-7 mins)
- Add mashed baigan (eggplant). Stir well. Add coriander leaves to this , mix well and let it cook for about 7-8 mins on a medium flame.
- Baingan Bharta is ready.