Sambar is one of my favorites,its very popular amongst South Indian recipes it's usually served with various south Indian dishes like idli, dosas, upma rice etc.
Being brought up in multi cultural city like Mumbai, I have been lucky to have eaten food from various parts of India and moreover my mom used to make it for us at home.
Following is the samabr recipe given to me by my mom.You can add various veggies as per your choice but pumpkin is must
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp of asafotedia
- 1 tsp chana dal
- 1 tsp urad dal
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 green chili chopped
- 5-6 curry leaves
- 2 dried red chili
- 4 tbsp of Tuar dal
- 1 tsp of turmeric
- 1 tsp of coriander powder
- 1 tsp of red chili powder
- salt as per taste
- 1 tbsp of sambar masala
- 2 tbsp of jaggery
- 1 tbsp of tamarind paste
- 1 Brinjal diced into cubes
- 1 cup pumpkin diced it to cubes
- 2 lady finger choppped into pieces
- 1 carrot diced in cubes
- 1/2 cup peas
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 tomato finely chopped
- In a pressure cooker add oil once heated add cumin seeds, mustard seeds, heeng, chnnaa dal,urad dal, green chili and curry leaves, saute it for about 2 mins.
- Add tuar dal to this and mix it well.
- Add turmeric, coriander and chili powder, mix it well.
- Add vegetables and 1 1/2 glass of water.
- Close the lid of pressure cooker and let it cook for about 2 whistles.
- Once the Sambar with vegetables is cooked,add sambar masala, salt, tamarind paste and jaggery.
- Mix it well and serve it hot.