Indian recipes uses different kinds of dals (lentils) witch are more native to India. Toor dal, also known as Arhar, is a popular dish in almost every household.
- 1 cup toor dal
- 3 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric (haldi)
- 1 tablespoon fine chopped ginger
- 1 tbsp ghee ( clarified butter)
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seed (jeera)
- 1/2 teaspoon black mustard seed (rye)
- 1 tsp of asafetida (hing)
- 2 green chili finely chopped
- 3-4 curry leave
- 2-3 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- Wash dal, changing water several times until the water appears clear.
- In pressure cooker add dal, water, salt, turmeric and ginger, and cook on medium heat for about 2 whistles.
- Turn off the heat and wait until steam has stopped before opening the pressure cooker.
- Mix dal well so there are no lumps. If dal is thick add more boiling water and make the consistency as you desire.
- Heat the oil in a pan. Test the heat by adding one cumin seed to the oil, if it cracks right away oil is ready.
- Add hing, cumin seeds, mustard seeds. After seeds crack stir for few seconds, add green chili and garlic to this.
- Pour th spice mix over dal.
- Serve with steamed rice or any Indian bread.