This is a tangy and spicy tomato chutney and a famous Hyderabadi accompaniment Though a very simple recipe, this chutney is lip-smacking yummy.
- 6 tomato
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 5 garlic cloves
- 4 dry red pepper
- 2 tsp red chili powder
- 8 curry leaves
- 2 tsp mustard seeds
- salt to taste
- 1 tbsp oil
- Chop the tomatoes and set aside.
- In a pan/wok add oil once its warm, add mustard, cumin, dry red chilies and curry leaves.
- When the mustard seeds pop, add garlic cloves, cook it for about 2 minutes.
- Add chopped tomatoes.
- Next add the red pepper powder and salt. You can add a little water if tomatoes are not very ripe,
- but if you are cooking with red ripe tomatoes, skip the water. Now let it slow cook on a low flame for a long time.
- Slow cooking is an important part of the recipe, this process makes the tomatoes infuse with spices and form a
- concentrate.Make sure you stir often to avoid it sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- When the oil in the dish starts to rise on top, you know the chutney is cooked.