It was a Friday evening and I was not sure what to cook we wanted to have something light, so my husband came up with the idea of making Besan Cheela, it's light and hardly takes time to cook.So I collated all things I would need to make it and we made it together.
Food items prepared with gram flour are very tasty.It tastes mildly sweet, it’s also gluten free and famously known for its anti-diabetic properties.After bajjias and pakoras, my next favorite item with besan is dosas. Besan Dosa is a traditional Indian breakfast and evening snack item, prepared by mixing gram flour with a variety of finely chopped vegetables. The dosas are usually served with chutneys, It's quite easy to prepare and one can experiment with ingredient quantities quite liberally.They are not that good when they get cold, so prepare them just before mealtime.
- 2 cups of gram flour
- 1 big onion,
- 2 green chillies,
- 2 tbsp of cilantro - finely chopped
- 1 tomato finely chopped
- 1 cumin seeds
- 1 tsp of carom seeds
- 2 tbsp of roasted semolina
- salt to taste
- In a Bowl add cumin, ajwan,semolina and salt. Mix to combine.
- Add the finely chopped vegetables. By gradually adding water, about 1 to 2 cups, mix and prepare besan batter to a medium-thick pouring consistency, like idly batter.
- Heat a non stick pan grease it with half-cut whole onion.
- When the pan is hot, pour ladleful of batter and spread into thin round. Sprinkle half teaspoon of oil or ghee on the top. Wait for bubbles to appear. When the underside starts to brown, gently lift and turn to other side. Cook the dosa until the second side is lightly browned.
- Serve it with Chutney Or Ketchup.