Palak Paneer is a traditional North Indian delicacy and is an integral part of the Punjabi cuisine. It is also one of my favorite dishes, because I love both palak and paneer.
- 250 grams paneer
- 2 bunches of palak
- 3 medium sized onions (finely chopped)
- 2 medium size tomatoes (finely chopped) OR tomato puree.
- 2 green chillies (slit into half)
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ ginger paste
- ½ garlic paste
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tbsp oil
- Salt to taste
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cloves
- Boil the palak (spinach) in cooker for about 1 whistle and let it simmer on a low flame for about 2 mins.Let it cool, then grind it into a paste.
- Cut the paneer into small cubes and deep fry in oil till light golden brown.
- Heat the oil in a Kadhai/non-stick pan and add the cumin seeds. Wait till it crackles and ensure that it does not burn.
- Add the ginger garlic paste and chilli,cloves and bay leaves,sauté for another min,Then add onions and saute for 2 - 3 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes/tomato puree and stir till the oil separates.Add turmeric powder and coriander powder to this mixture.
- Add the palak paste to this mixture along with 1 cup water.(You can use the water used for cooking the spinach)
- Add the paneer, garam masala and salt and cook till you start to see the gravy bubbling.
- If the gravy seems a bit dry, you can add some more water.
- Palak Paneer is ready to be relished.